Here in Vernon, there is a misconception that more plumbing problems occur during the winter. Freezing pipes are one of the major plumbing issues that arise, a severe one at that. However, hot weather brings along unique issues to your plumbing system.
More people are typically in your home over the summer months, placing more strain on your plumbing. Water usage also increases during the summer, with the sprinklers and pools back in action. However, these also create more potential for problems.
Here at Bee's Knees Plumbing and Heating Ltd., we want you prepared for any summer plumbing issues that might occur in your home. Keep reading below to find out what could happen and what you can do to prevent it.
Summer Plumbing Problems
Examples of summer plumbing issues include basement flooding, toilet clogs, sprinkler damage, and many more. We will go over these in detail below:
- Basement Flooding: Here in Vernon, we can get summertime storms. When there are heavy rains, your basement can quickly flood, leading to costly repairs for your home! During the summer, the last thing you want is to walk downstairs and find out your home is flooding.
- Sewage Backups: Heavy rains don’t only bring flooding into your basement. Storms also impact your sewer lines, such as causing a backup in your home. When the sewer line does backup, you will need the assistance of a plumbing professional for repairs.
- Clogged Sinks: During the summertime, cooking with family and friends is a great way to have fun. However, we ultimately create a lot of waste at these parties. We have all thrown food down the drain before and hoped for the best. Well, the news is, you shouldn’t be doing this! Throwing food and grease down your disposal is a recipe for disaster. Eventually, the food and oils will congeal together, creating pesky clogs in your sink.
- Clogged Toilets: Along with the sinks in your home, toilets see a lot of extra use over the summer. Kids have their friends over, and maybe family and friends have decided to spend time with you for vacation. Whatever the case, if your toilet sees too much action, a clog might occur. Even too much toilet paper can cause a clog. Kids are notorious for throwing what shouldn’t be in the toilet down the drain, so keep this in mind as well!
- Washing Machine Leaks: Along with extra toilet usage, our washing machines see a lot more use during the summer months. When it’s hot outside, we tend to go through more clothes, leading to more loads of laundry. Sometimes we also put too many articles of clothing in at once, stressing out our machines. Both of these can lead to leaks from our washing machines.
- Sprinkler Leaks: If you have a lawn to maintain, you might bring out your sprinklers again during the summer. However, it is easy to run over a sprinkler head or step on one while outside. This can cause damage to the system, creating leaks.
What You Can Do to Maintain Your Plumbing
Don’t fear, we at Bee's Knees Plumbing and Heating Ltd. have potential solutions to these summertime issues. Keep reading to learn how to maintain your plumbing system for the summer:
- To keep your plumbing system operating smoothly, make sure to prepare before the rainy season arrives. Call a plumbing professional to inspect your sump pump, as this might prevent any flooding issues. Whenever you notice leaks, immediately contact someone for help. The sooner you do so, the more damage you will avoid.
- When disposing of food waste, make sure to place all large, hard pieces of food directly into the trash. Doing this will help avoid any sink clogs. Also, make sure to avoid pouring grease down the drain!
- Besides avoiding food waste in your sinks, make sure your kids know what doesn’t go into the toilet. While it might be funny to them, a toy in your drain isn’t worth expensive repairs. Furthermore, make sure to use appropriate amounts of toilet paper.
- Be aware of how much you are using your washing machine as well. If you are doing too many loads or overstuffing, your machine can spring a leak.
- Lastly, keep your eyes out for sprinkler heads when in your yard. You can easily avoid any potential sprinkler leaks or floods by watching out for them.
Call Us at Bee's Knees Plumbing and Heating Ltd.
If you have summer plumbing problems, don’t hesitate to visit our website to learn more about what we can do for you today! Give us a call at (250) 800-1373 if you have any questions about our services. We look forward to hearing from you.